The Electricity Act, 2003 has significantly enlarged the spectrum of responsibility of CERC. Under the ERC Act, 1998 only the tariff fixation powers were vested in CERC. The new law of 2003 has entrusted on the CERC several other responsibilities in addition to the tariff fixation powers, for instance, the powers to grant license for inter-State transmission, inter-State trading and consequently to amend, suspend and revoke the license, the powers to regulate the licensees by setting performance standards and ensuring their compliance, etc.
1.1 Following are the statutory functions of CERC:
(a) To regulate the tariff of generating companies owned or controlled by the Central Government; to regulate the tariff of generating companies other than those owned or controlled by the Central Government specified in clause (a), if such generating companies enter into or otherwise have a composite scheme for generation and sale of electricity in more than one State;
(b) To regulate the inter-State transmission of electricity ;
(c) To determine tariff for inter-State transmission of electricity;
(d) To issue transmission licenses and trading licenses with respect to inter-State operations;
(e) To adjudicate upon disputes involving generating companies or transmission licensee in regard to matters connected with clauses (a) to
(d) above and to refer any dispute for arbitration;
(f) To levy fees for the purposes of this Act;
(g) To specify Grid Code having regard to Grid Standards;
(h) To specify and enforce the standards with respect toquality, continuity and reliability of service by licensees;
(i) To fix the trading margin in the inter-State trading of electricity, if considered, necessary;
(j) To discharge such other functions as may be assigned under this Act.
1.2 The Act has also given advisory role to CERC. It has been mandated to advise the Central Government on the matters relating to formulation of National Electricity Policy and Tariff Policy, promotion of competition, efficiency and economy in activities of the electricity industry, and promotion of investment in electricity industry.
1.3 Power sector is evolving in India and the present policy approach mainly aims at moving from cost plus tariff to competitive bidding basis tariff, appropriate regulatory framework for mobilizing investments, and developing electricity markets. However, the cost plus tariff will continue to be important as the assets covered by this regime are of large value.
1.4 Central Electricity Regulatory Commission has, therefore, felt the need for engaging Senior Research Officer (PM), Research Officers (Eco) and Research Associate (PM) in accordance with the CERC (Appointment of Consultants) (Amendment) Regulation, 2010 as amended from time to time. The Senior Research Officer/ Research Officers/Associates etc. proposed to be engaged by the Commission would assist and augment the work of Economics Wing of the Commission in discharge of its multifarious functions.
2.0 Scope of work proposed for the Staff Consultant:-The duties of the Senior Research Officer/ Research Officer/ Research Associate of Economics wing of CERC shall mainly include as under:-
2.1. Economic analysis and research related to power sector issues – tariffs, markets, fuel availability, open access, etc;
2.2. Preparation of weekly, monthly, and annual reports on short-term transactions of electricity as part of market monitoring.
2.3. Monitoring of compliance as per trading license regulations and trading margin regulations and power market regulations.
2.4. Work related to Market Surveillance and Oversight of power markets
2.5. Statistical Analysis of energy prices
2.6. Work related to functioning of power exchange and traders
2.7. The consultants will work in a team of Chief (Economics), Deputy Chief (Economics), Assistant Chief (Economics) and Advisor (Power Market) in the Economics wing of CERC.
2.8. Any other work as assigned by the Commission.
3.0 Qualification and experience required for Staff Consultants:-3.0 Qualification and experience required for Staff Consultants:-
|Category of consultants||No. of Position||Qualifications and Experience||Consolidated salary|
|Senior Research Officer (Power Market)||01||Essential Qualifications:- Post Graduate Degree in Economics or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with MBA from recognized Institutes/Universities. Experience and Competencies:- Minimum eight to ten years experience in power sector. Ability to undertake independently, strategic studies in the power sector. Knowledge of working of power markets/ power sector issues such as open access, tariff setting, competitive bidding, will be preferred.||Rs. 94,000 to 1,03,000 per month (depending on qualification and experience)|
|Research Officer (Economics)||02||Essential Qualifications:- Post Graduate Degree in Economics or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with MBA from recognized Institutes/Universities. Experience & Competencies:- Minimum of four to seven years experience in the power sector. Person with regulatory work with the exposure to economic analysis would be given preference.||Rs. 64,000 to 85,000 per month (depending on qualification and experience)|
|Research Associate (Power Market)||03||Essential Qualification: Post Graduate Degree in Economics or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with MBA from recognized Institutes/Universities. Experience & Competencies:- Zero to three years experience in the power sector. The person should have good knowledge of data base operation. Persons having knowledge/experience of regulatory work will have added advantage.||Rs. 45,000 to 59,000 per month (depending on qualification and experience)|
4.0 General Terms and Conditions:-
4.1. Normal working hours would be 9.30 A.M to 6.00 P.M (05 days week) including half an hour lunch break. The personnel may be called on Saturdays/ Sundays and other gazetted holidays, and required to be present beyond normal working hours in case of exigencies.
4.2 There will be a provision of 15 days leave in a calendar year (January-December) on monthly pro-rata basis (in addition to the gazetted holidays as applicable in CERC) subject to prior sanction. The intervening Saturdays/ Sundays/ holidays, if any, shall not be counted as leave.
4.3 In case of official tour outside Delhi, the Commission shall reimburse the expenses for journey undertaken for official work by the Consultants as per the following entitlement:- Senior Research Officers - By air-Economy class/By train(AC-II tier), other facilities as per entitlements of Assistant Chief level officers of CERC, Research Officers - By air-Economy class/By train(AC-II tier), other facilities as per entitlements of Sr. AO/PAO level officers of CERC, Research Associates - By train(AC-II tier), other facilities as per entitlements CERC officers of the level of Private Secretary.
5. Age Limits: The age of the applicant as on 01st January of the year of advertisement would be in accordance to CERC (Appointment of Consultants) Regulations, 2008 and amendments thereafter .
6. Duration of Contract: The Staff Consultant shall now be engaged for the period of two years. However, the period of engagement may be extended, based on the satisfactory performance of the candidate, for the period upto one year on each occasion, whereas it is limited to total period of four years at the maximum.
7. In deserving cases, an escalation up to 10% on the fee may be given with the approval of the Chairperson based on the performance during the preceding year.
8. Payment Terms: The consultant shall be paid lump sum monthly professional fees on completion of the month. TDS shall be deducted as per relevant rules. employer or employee by giving one month’s notice or one month’s salary in peu thereof. Provided, in case of disciplinary action, the notice period shall not apply to CERC.
9.1. The Chairperson, CERC may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, relax the above clause 8 of the agreement, on the basis of a written request of “First Party”.
10. Engagement under this assignment shall be on purely contract basis for a limited period only. Such engagement shall not vest any right what so ever to claim for regular appointment or continued contractual engagement in CERC.
11. Relaxation in essential qualifications/experience can be considered in deserving cases.
12. CERC reserves the right not to fill up all or any of the above positions, without assigning any reasons, what so ever.
13. CERC reserves the right either to increase or decrease the number of posts in any of the categories, at any given time, without assigning any reasons, what so ever.
14. Only short-listed candidates will be called for an interaction with the Selection Committee, and the decision of CERC shall be final
15. Interested and eligible candidates may kindly send their applications, in the prescribed format to the Assistant Chief (Regulatory Affairs ), First Floor, Chanderlok Building, 36, Janpath, New Delhi by 10th Aug, 2018 by 5.00 PM.